Fractionated Coconut Oil as it is also known, is not your regular cold-pressed coconut oil that goes solid at room temperature, though it’s ability as an emollient and moisturizer is the same.
Fractionated coconut oils have been heated as part of their processing to separate certain chains of fatty acids (lauric acid in particular which keeps it solid at room temperature) Once removed the result is fractionated coconut oil or MCT oil depending on the original oil source. The process refines, clarifies, and deodorizes the oil. Fractionated Coconut Oil stays liquid, is clear, and is highly stable for use in creams and lotions, and many other cosmetic preparations for skin and hair. It penetrates the skin readily, thus acting as an excellent carrier for essential oils. This ability to transport essential oils and actives makes it an oil of choice among medical practitioners and massage therapists.
Fractionated coconut oil will never go rancid. It has an indefinite shelf life and is in a perfectly clear liquid form. It is also great value for money (a little goes a long way) so perfect for use in clinics and spas. Other advantages of Fractionated Coconut Oil are:
· Number one benefit of fractionated coconut oil. It won’t stain and easily washes out of clothing and sheets.
· It absorbs into the skin while reducing essential oil evaporation.
· It is excellent on skin; a natural and very safe moisturizer, softener and safe, non-irritant lubricator.
· It leaves skins smooth with no greasy feeling.
· It can be mixed with other, more expensive, carriers to increase shelf life. It can also be used it to create different cream textures.
· It does not aggravate skin problems or clog pores like Holly Oil that is from a petroleum product and 99% liquid paraffin. The name Holly Oil is very misleading as there is no Holly extract in Holly oil at all. Read our blog post on the differences between Holly Oil and Fractionated Coconut oil.
· It is fully digestible and considered an excellent and healthy cooking oil.
· It is truly one of the best multi-purpose carrier oil products on the market due to being odorless and colorless.